Friday, March 25, 2011

Tow Mater Cupcakes


I feel like everyone I talk to and everywhere I look lately is mentioning Bakerella. If you have never visited her site...do now. She is creative and pretty much is the idea behind the cake pop sensation.
She is sick right now, in the need of a kidney transplant. I know everyone is pulling for her and everyones thoughts are with her. I was grateful for her creative genius a few weeks ago when I made these Tow Mater cupcakes for a friend's sons birthday. They were so fun! And they didn't require fancy knowledge or equipment. Just cake, frosting and candy. Anybody could do it. Check out her instructions for these here. My pictures and personal tips are below.


Tip #1. To keep these affordable...be willing to veer from the candy Bakerella suggests. I bought small generic chocolate cookies instead of the 100 cal packs she used. Mine were cheaper and look the same. Also, a package of white M & Ms were $4. Ouch. I got Peppermint Patty hard candy coated candies for $1.50. Just browse your candy Aisle and see what you can find.

I used my homemade chocolate cake recipe and tried a new frosting recipe. Best chocolate frosting yet folks and I will share it with you tomorrow.



4 comments:

  1. Lindsay, Those cakes are so so cute and they look yummy too! Thanks for noticing the WW on Calamity Kate's Kitchen. It is somewhat new, just a way to mix my real life and baking life together. Thanks for noticing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you today Lindsay. I'm subscribing to your blog and look forward to getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsay. So nice meeting you yesterday. I love your blog, especially the Sopapilla Cheesecake. I had something like this a couple of years ago at a funeral luncheon and wasn't able to track down the recipe (yes, I'm shameless) and was so happy to see it here. I'm a new follower and can't wait to see your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! I love your money-saving tips...really helpful:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...